Advisory for Monday, May 8, and Tuesday, May 9
UCLA Hosts Workshop and Conference on Women and Gaming
UCLA will be hosting two events, a workshop, “Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat: New Perspectives on Gender, Games and Computing,” and a conference, “Girls ’n’ Games,” focused on women’s participation in game design and play, with speakers from Europe, Asia and North America.
· Yasmin Kafai, associate professor, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies.
· Jessica Tams, vice president for product planning, SkillJam Technologies.
· Henry Jenkins, professor, comparative studies, MIT.
· Brenda Laurel, chair, Graduate Media Design Program, Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, Calif.
· Morgan Romine, founder, The Frag Dolls, Ubisoft’s all-girl gaming team.
· Daniel James, CEO, Three Rings.
· T.L. Taylor, associate professor, IT University, Copenhagen, Denmark.
· Mimi Ito, Annenberg fellow, University of Southern California.
“Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat” workshop: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday, May 8.
“Girls ’n’ Games” conference: 2:30–6 p.m., Tuesday, May 9.
“Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat” workshop: 3340 Moore Hall, UCLA.
“Girls ’n’ Games” conference: Suite 104, EDA Kinross Building, 11000 Kinross Blvd. This event will be streamed live at http://www.eda.ucla.edu.
Shaena Engle, (310) 206-5951, engle@gseis.
On Monday, park in Structure 2, off Hilgard Avenue. Pick up a parking pass at the information kiosk for the NSF workshop.
On Tuesday, park in Lot 36, off Gayley Avenue. Pick up a parking pass at the Westwood information kiosk for the “Girls ’n’ Games” conference.
I really wish I could attend this event, but the fates have conspired against me. Thanks to David Chute for the information, maybe I can watch the second day as streaming video.